Effective as of May 22, 2021
Gem is a search engine to help you find that perfect piece of vintage clothing. We process some personal information for the purpose of providing the service to you, understanding our business, and improving the service.
If you have any questions, concerns, or requests, you can always reach us at email@example.com.
Personal Data Controller
“Personal Data Controller” is the legal term for the company that is responsible for collecting and processing of personal information. The Personal Data Controller and owner of Gem is a United States company:
Gem Search, LLC
3811 Ditmars Blvd #2108
Astoria, NY 11105, USA
Third Party Websites
Because Gem functions as a search engine, Gem Users may be directed to different, third party websites where that article of clothing is actually available. Gem does not have any control over those websites and how they collect personal information. We therefore strongly recommend that you read the privacy policies of those third party websites. Gem expressly disclaims any responsibility for the privacy practices of third party websites that may be linked from Gem Service.
Personal Information You Provide
You can use basic functionality without providing any personal information. To use features that require authentication or email communication, you need to provide the following personal information:
- Your email address
- Before Feb 25, 2020: If you chose to login with Facebook or Google: Your Facebook/Google account info, including your name. Starting from Feb 25, 2020 Gem is using email logins only.
Usage Information We Collect
Log Data. Whether you use Gem with or without an account, we may collect information such as page and app views, visits, referring web pages, search queries done, and actions taken. We make a reasonable effort to anonymize your Internet Protocol address to avoid possibilities of pinpointing your exact location, but we do try to get your general country and city level location.
- keep you logged in (unless you choose to log out)
- remember user interface state, such as preferred currency, next home page image to show, and whether you are on the website for the first time
- route your requests to the correct server
- collect user behavior metrics, including unique users and user retention using Google Analytics
You can usually manage your cookies in your web browser’s preferences. If you want to prevent analytics tracking on the website, you can block the cookies in your browser settings, or install a Google Analytics block extension.
Device Data. We also collect information about your device. Examples of such information include device model, operating system, app version, performance data, and crash and error logs which help us improve the user experience.
How We Use Your Information
Account. To provide features that require authentication. For example, if you want to save products, an account is needed to keep track of your saved products. The same applies to features such as new items alerts, search history, and preferences.
Analytics. To understand how Gem is being used, how our business is doing, and to improve the service. We also want to know of any technical problems, so that we can fix them swiftly.
Newsletter. To deliver Gem Stories by email, if you choose to subscribe.
Email Communication. To send you email messages related to your account. For example to verify your email address, help you reset your password, or reply to you if you report a product.
Transmission to Data Processors
We share personal information with our Data Processors in the following manner:
Google Analytics. We use Google Analytics to better understand how Gem is being used. We limit what we share with Google to what is needed to accomplish our analytical tasks. For example, we do not participate in advertising networks or voluntary Google products sharing. That said, Google may still use analytics information according to their Partner Sites and Privacy Policies.
Amazon Web Services. We use Amazon Web Services for their hosting services.
- Some of the product images that will appear in your search results may be loaded from websites that host the actual product pages: these websites may collect data of how these images are loaded.
- We may share limited information with third party companies or individuals that process information on our behalf.
- We may share information if required by law.
Storage of Data & International Data Transfers
The data we collect from you is stored in the United States. By using Gem Service, you agree to the transfer, storage and processing of your information in the United States.
How Long We Keep Your Information
We keep your information only as long as it’s needed to serve the purposes described above. For example, if you choose to delete your account or unsubscribe from the newsletter, we delete your information immediately in the main database. As we have backups, it takes up to 70 days for the information to fully disappear from all of our systems.
How You Can Access and Control Your Information
You have the following rights in regard to our use of your personal information:
- You have the right to request information about your personal data. To view your account data, you can log in and see it in Settings > Account.
- You have the right to object to the collection of information and the continued processing of your personal information. You can choose to delete your account which deletes all associated account data.
- You have the right to update, correct, delete or block the personal information. - You can edit your account data, or delete the account.
- You have the right to obtain information about yourself that you submitted to us, and to have this information transferred to another Data Controller. You can export your data in Settings > Account.
If you have other requests, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Children & Minors
Children under the age of 13 are not allowed to use Gem. Gem does not knowingly collect personal information from any individual under the age of 13. In the event we learn that we have collected information from an individual under the age of 13, we will delete that information and delete any associated account(s).
Concerns, Questions, Complaints
If you have any concerns, questions or complaints about our use of your personal information, please contact Liisa Jokinen, Gem’s Data Protection Officer. You may contact her at email@example.com.
The supervisory authority that enforces consumer online privacy rights in Gem’s jurisdiction is the New York Department of State. More information here: dos.ny.gov/consumer-protection.